View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 06:45   Link #1193
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
I believe they're still doing it for background art and image board since they still learn traditionnal background painting at Kyoto Animation school.
I remember Yasuhiro Takemoto said in some magazine they put a lot of effort into Hyouka's scenery. In Hyouka they really made it further in the use of colors and shades depending on time, weather, season or scene but they also mixed with a different method I think. There're still traditionnal backgrounds (specially outdoor background) but I think there were more a use of 3D, filters and textures than previous series. For example 3D was used for dynamic background like episode 8 with the independant movie : they applied 2D textures on 3D backgrounds.
I'm not sure if I understood well but Yasuhiro Takemoto said in a interview he wanted Hyouka's scenery to be realistic (but not real). He compared 'realistic'/'real' with acting and actors. They used CG technology and most scenes used filters. With a careful use of filters the world isn't dull and it enhances the realism.
Takemoto also advices to watch Blu-ray which displays more colors and subtle variations since they had to compress for TV broadcasting.
Oh thanks for sharing that. Well IIRC Yamakan made a comment back then regarding Shinkai's style of lighting. He said KyoAni used a similar approach.

Well in anycase KyoAni's post production is top notch. They're one of the best when it comes to lighting.