View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 20:29   Link #701
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Also, my idea about Alt. V is not just about it sounding, in pure theory, as something more likely to work than Alt. IV - it's also that in twisted way, Alt. IV didn't solve much! Think about it - yes, Original Hive is destroyed, but many more battles remain before BETA will be pushed out, and there's no way of telling if mankind won't screw something up along the way. Also, the rampant nationalism and politics still remain, with only the threat of BETA in space holding mankind together. That's not a very stable glue; anything may go at the moment, and frankly, Yuuko is not an unmistakable genuis - nor is she a very altruistic politician.

Vast swathes of Earth were also already devastated by BETA, and it remains to be seen just how well it can recover.

In some ways, just starting anew on another planet may make things better, especially when national governments are more interested in making the most out of Earth's ruins.

Spoiler for For Unlimited End:
This actually makes a certain kind of sense, I guess. And to be fair, if the G-Bombs hadn't fucked over the environment, it woulda been the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Also, I ended up with Tomcat and Fulcrum as males because I like gender equality.
Spoiler for Jive Turkey:

No need to thank me.
I ain't thanking you.

This reminds me of a lulzy line in Yellow Eyes, by Tom Kratman:

Will we be male or female?
asked the AID.

We shall be female,
came the answer, as are most like us. Russian warships are male but they are mostly gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Not just the Plane AI. The Tactical and Strategic computers, et al are all included. The JAM would probbaly see them as a sort-of semi Hive Mind in the sense that the planes go out collect info and hunt, and then share this information at the central hub (Tactical Computer and Strategic computer at base).

The comparison with Muv-Luv is when you notice that early in the war the BETA tended to attack mechanisms but not individual soldiers (except as raw materials). For all the BETA Superiors know, the TSFs were using humans as power sources or tactical weapons computers...
That... puts an interesting spin on things. Very interesting...
Quote:
- I actually have a short story with that in mind, but I'll probably be stoned for using original characters even before anyone read it.
Not from me; my story is essentially populated by OCs.

Quote:
- Just remember that there's the obvious Japanese bias---having been on the receiving end of a WMD, it's usually the scariest thing they can think of. So much so that any solution involving a WMD is the worst possible solution.

Also my take on Alternative V: I do not mind, and actually encourage humanity to reach out and find a new home beyond Earth...but it has to be BY CHOICE, not because we're being overrun by Alien bugs.

...that, and what happens if the BETA drop by on that new planet before the population is ready?
Good point. And I'm actually out of insightful and witty things to say atm, except that this is an interesting perspective indeed.

Quote:
Human beings (both as individuals and groups) have two problems that work in the favor of ANY Alien invader:
1.) At a subconscious level we do not care for anyone who does not support them or have anything of value we can make use of.
2.) Majority of human beings have an inabilty to think long-term.
The breadth of these discussions prove, without a doubt, that Muv-Luv is hardly just some pron game. But then, we all already knew that.

...Total Eclipse VN had BETTER have a Yui end, btw. And a 3rd person shooter using the ACE engine would be totally sweet...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote