View Single Post
Old 2012-01-05, 04:09   Link #59
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Saber hasn't really done anything impressive, so far, but I like her largely for the same reason that I like Kariya, in that she represents one of the few largely noble characters in a story with a a high dosage of borderline despicable characters such as Kiritsugu and Tokiomi. There's also the fact that I find her attitude towards kingship to be genuinely noble, while I regard Rider's as more of a character flaw. Sacrificing the lives of thousands of men, women, and children, through a series of Wars of Aggression, is morally ambiguous to say the least, while Saber, as Rider was forced to concede, came off as a pure saint, who was so largely dedicated to her responsibilities as a ruler that she was willing to forego her own happiness. That level of sacrifice for a goal that is perceived as worthy, would be admirable even if it wasn't done within the best intentions to help her constituents.
It's hardly a flaw. Alexander the Great paved an Empire. While Arturia protected her country from invaders.

Two different contexts they lived with. Neither of them were wrong in their way of kingships. They are just different: he was a conqueror, she was a knight. Trying to measure one to the other is like trying to compare apples and oranges. They are both fruits, but they don't taste the same (although they do have a similar nutritional value).

You may not like this but that's not really a character flaw.

If anything Rider's flaw is that he's too nice and friendly. His way of conquest (that borderlines on the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP) really gets in the way of his goal. He should have let Saber get killed and then ran over Lancer and Berserker to death in episode 5, but he's way not as ruthless as you would expect from a conqueror. But one of the reasons I like him is because his excessive good nature, yet it's still a flaw.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2012-01-05 at 04:30.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote