Thread: DoTA 2
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-06, 04:44   Link #35
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I'm in the scene where people do get paid to play competitively, in both DotA and LoL. Most prefer LoL as in heavily teamwork than DotA. And please don't think only China get paid for playing competitively. Almost all the Asia are doing that.

The balancing in LoL can't compare to DotA, seeing it's only been 2 to 3 years when it's become popular, while DotA has been around for 8 years, but the concept is better than DotA overall. Did you think DotA just pull the "different type of gold for farming and killing" from their head? No. It came from somewhere, and I think you know where it is.
Erm, I have been in the DotA scene for ages too you know. I am pretty sure I know a lot more about DotA and the scene than you do judging by the contents of your post thus far (and because I know just how deeply involved I actually am/was). I know full well that people outside China are also getting paid to play but it's nowhere near enough to call it a profession outside China except for maybe Navi players. Getting paid from a tournament isn't what I am referring to. I am referring to a decent monthly salary and there are very few people actually drawing that outside China. The Vietnamese scene is supported more by bet games than by professional backing and the same goes for most of the SEA as well as the pinoy scene. Sure there are several teams with decent sponsors and all but most of them only provide some equipments and take care of some travel costs etc. Very few organizations actually require full time commitment to the game from their players and the pay reflects that obviously.

And please stop making me laugh with your people prefer LOL competitively crap. It's favored over other DotA clones by people - as a game -, yes, but over DotA itself? Heck no. And for competitive play? Even HoN is better in that regard because it actually has fully functional skeleton laid out for competitive play. LOL lacks even basic stuff such as save load mechanism. Give me names of whom exactly you know from the scene please because I know a lot of people and none whomsoever prefers LOL over DotA and certainly not competitively. List names, go.

How is the concept of LOL better than DotA? It's arguably more accessible and is much less harsh on mistakes so it cuts down the learning curve superficially. But that also has the effect of making the game feel dumb to seasoned players. That micro-transaction model along with the limiting of players to a weaker hero pool (I made arguments for why limited hero pool is a horrible idea just a few posts up there) and the summoner spells are pretty much the only fundamental mechanics it offers that are different to DotA but those are fail O_O

Did you seriously just imply that the concept of reliable gold is a ripoff from LOL? Rofl. You do realize that LOL doesn't incur gold loss on death at all right? Reliable gold is a completely different mechanism that has actually been on consideration since as far back as 6.5x era. How do I know? I have been in active correspondence with IceFrog since before 6.43 O_O And it is born of a completely different reason than making the game easier for newbies. It was designed with the intention of promoting an aggressive style of play (otherwise known as ganking). It was a balance fix at best and not at an influence from a game which takes away the primary incentive to ganking - the very thing this reliable gold concept was introduced for - by not making the enemy carry lose the game upon death. You are so far off the mark with that argument, bro, that you lost most of your credibility if you had any. It's like (but worse than) saying the whole new dominion thing that riot games are planning is but a ripoff of -CP mode in DotA but that doesn't mean its going to be implemented exactly the same so it's a void argument. And unfortunately, the reliable gold mechanism didn't do the expected job by itself anyway. Smoke did that job for it so its all cool.

And there is nothing wrong with games borrowing concepts. I have no problem at all accepting that LOL is easier to introduce new people to than wc3 DotA. And that's a good thing because it leads in the overall growth of the genre. Competition is a good thing and it will drive improvements. But I don't see a reason to not claim a better game as a better game.

Also, you haven't been keeping an eye on the evolution of the metagame in DotA, have you? DotA metagame is like fashion, it changes every so often. The farm for fame metagame has been away for quite a while now. Action starts before creepspawn in actually competitive DotA. You have to put the wards up in proper places - level one teamfights are not uncommon at all since the introduction of smoke and heck even as far back as the RUSH3d touring China with lots of games against 7L era, level one teamfights were not at all rare. Farming is a valid strategy like any other but it's only a choice. And the current dominant metagame is actually to push and end the game as soon as you can. So farming for thirty mins is most likely going to make you lose the game.

And hello, DotA needs a lot more co-ordination than LOL for the simple fact that your carry actually loses gold when he dies - that he doesn't have a free tp back home - that experience can be denied - that towerdiving is actually possible from very early levels and that the strategies possible in DotA are far more varied thanks to its larger hero pool and much better balance as well as the amount of polish.

@Kafriel: With regards to Casters being useful even lategame etc., that's actually such a cancerous mechanics. I would much rather have casters with fixed damage and powerful at early game nukes or disables that take some guts, planning and proper positioning to pull off for them to be useful lategame than this whole scaling nuke crap.

With regards to the new heroes in DotA and the general lack of development the past year, yes, that is a valid complaint. Development on DotA has kinda been much less lively this past year. I can only hope DotA2 will change that (and I am forgiving the last year because understandably, Ice was involved in something bigger that takes time). I am not impartial to dropping the game if it turns out bad. If it disappoints me, I have no problems calling something that fails a failure. But Icefrog has consistently impressed me in the past and Valve aren't exactly inexperienced either. So for now, I am hyped. And people who actually have access to the closed beta all seem pleased with it thus far too.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote