View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 13:31   Link #753
Rainrir
Tin Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
IMO, Mogemett overestimated his country's power. Even counting all the magicians, Magnoshutatt have no more than 5000 units. Against Kou Empire which is based on China - A country that always favored tactics with massive force, Magnoshutatt doesn't have much chance.

Magnoshutatt's magicians may have quality but in a long war, they will lose to Kou's quantity. Scher is right that Mogamett is on the path to destruction, the old man is extremely racist and stubborn.
Well, that will depend on how Laem reacts to the Kou forces. If lolimagi keeps her stance that Moganett must be punished, then she would be sacrificing strategic sense and let Kou take Magoshuatt. That will open up a bigger front tthat will claim more Laem lives against the Kou forces. I am not sure how she will act though, in such a scenario.

Plus, if we discount the one Magi and the Djinn users, I think it is highly likely that Magoshuatt has the absolute advantage in morale, logistics and quality. Quality goes without saying, since the average magcian can probably beat the shit out of Kou's "peasant soldiers". Logistics because the magicians are fighting on home ground, while the Kou probably have to stage from Balbadd. Morale because if OldMog is to frame the war, he probably frame it as a war of survival against people who want to exterminate the magicians (hint hint). Consideirng what some of the upper tier mages can do, I don't think they will struggle to meet a 10 to 1 kill ratio. Furthermore, what kind of crazy superweapon the magicians might have to defend themselves in a pinch is really anyone's guess...

I mean don't anyone remember that X-D@y W@r by the-nation-that-cannot-be-named, the kills-to-loss ratio there was more than 10 to 1. To cite another example, Sino-Vietnamese war basically is a stalemate in which the enemy has a 7 to 1 advantage. Even though who really "won" is hard to tell, the Vietnamese didn't "lose" against a foe with a larger army, had better gear and have armor support. I am not sure of Kou would be willing to take those losses after some time, especially if there is a Laem army behind Kou's back (Kou probably doesn't know that Lolimagi and OldMog fell out).

Of course, Chinese strategy and tactics involves more than just overwhelming numbers. Damn that Mao, giving a bad name to Chinese war strategies and tactics. The idea that China "always favored" large numbers is really a big misconception "fed" to their enemies arising from the need to emphasize numbers... since the PLA was weak everywhere (air, armor, artillery, navy) else during the 50s to 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Al Sarmen are not Goi.....and maybe not even human for that matter. Don't know if that's important
Other than the Dark Metal Vessel, which I don't even know if lolimagi knows about, Lolimagi's concern is the proliferation of "normal" magic weapons in the area around Laem and outside Magoshuatt. This applies only to the Bandits who attacked Kouha (Goi) and the Holy Mother Pirates (also Goi), they show no signs of being affiliated with Al Sarmen (for now). I can't see why Magoshuatt wants to arm Goi from outside nations with magic weapons even if Al Sarmen told them to do so.

Chances is that there are people within the Magocracy that are working for Al Sarmen. Hoever, I seriously wonder if helping Al Sarmen is actual Magoshuatt national policy...

Last edited by Rainrir; 2012-12-02 at 14:16.
Rainrir is offline   Reply With Quote