View Single Post
Old 2010-08-07, 18:24   Link #84
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Digimon Xros Wars. Digimon for a new generation of kids

So, here I am, after watching five episodes to the sixth Digimon series in the anime franchise.

The tone and atmosphere for Xros Wars feels like an epic quest fantasy story, akin to Narnia or Deltora Quest.

Personally, I do not find it cliché or vexxing. So far the mini-story arcs have been able to build a climax of the battles between team Xros Heart against the Generals of the Bagura Empire whom control the Digi-Zones.

Furthermore, this series marks firsts on the following:
1. The Xros-Loader is referred to as Xros-Loader not Digivice, at least that's holding as true for the original Japanese version.

2. Parties are divided into teams: team Xros Heart- Taiki, Zenjirou, Akari, Shoutmon, Ballistamon, Dondokomon, Starmon, & Pickmonz; team Kiriha; and team Mysterious Girl.

3. Since parties are organized into teams, that means the children may or not have more than one Digimon Partner.

4. Zenjirou and Akari do not have a Xros-Loader of their own, so I speculate One Xros-Loader is given per team.

Continuing from Digimon Savers, in Xros Wars all Digimon have their personalities fleshed-out and have desires to fulfill, for example, Shoutmon wishes to become the Digimon King to thwart the Bagura Empire once and for all.
He even delivered words of encouragement to Chibi-Kamemon in the fourth episode.

The Digital Word itself has been thoroughly expanded and developed to host different and varied type of ecosystems within the broken Zones, holding their unique Digimon communities with their own customs and traditions.

The other thing to notice, and to which many if not most fans are not feeling pleased about, is the Digi-Xros replacing Digi-Evolution as means for Digimon to scale up in the power scale.
To be honest, this is not like the Jogress / DNA Digivolution seen in Digimon 02. It looks more like a combination, rather than a true fusion among digimon. The sort of combining as seen in mecha shows like Voltron. I'm not complaining, as long as the cross or digital-crossing forms can put a fight that would not turn lame or dragging.

And seems that TOEI convinced or brought back again a veteran singer from way back from the Golden Era of Digimon, and that's Wada Kouji.
Out of the Big 3 singers for the Digimon franchise, he performed the opening themes for the previous five series, and in this current shows sings the Digi-Xros theme. I must say that after listening to that theme for just two episodes it grew on me.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote