View Single Post
Old 2008-06-10, 23:33   Link #19
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
4Tran
There's two major problems with your idea. The first is that Big West has yet to express much interest in expanding to the US market, and the second is that Harmony Gold's previous practices have soured any potential relationship. As late as 2007, Harmony Gold was still speaking in such terms as "willing to let the deal go through" (in regard to a Macross Zero license). That kind of language runs counter to Big West's claim and the Japanese court ruling, and I can see why Big West wouldn't want to give them a single penny.
2 reasons they don't bad blood and more trouble than they care to get into, they are making a good profit off what they have no need to do anything yet, someone will probably come to them on bended knee for the US distro rights and they will act as a middle man for any issue to arise but that wont be for awhile not until the right company comes along or the legalies are very truely clear.

Quote:
I think that Harmony Gold knows full well that they can't block any of the other Macross shows, but the actual legalities don't come into play until there's at least a threat of a lawsuit somewhere. I imagine that if a credible threat of one shows up, they'll try to settle pretty quickly. But the basis for a lawsuit won't manifest itself until Harmony Gold tries to stop a Macross product that Big West feels entitled to, and that probably won't happen until someone licenses a Macross show or something like that.

On the other hand, Harmony Gold's acceptance of the Toynami Macross toys suggests that there's more room for compromise than I originally thought. Still, it doesn't seem all that likely for any Macross show to be licensed any time soon, the the odds are much higher than they were a few months ago. My bet is that the next one will actually be Macross Frontier - it's pretty much guaranteed to sell oodles.
The chips seem to be falling into place perhaps with a few more the right company can come along and work out al the trouble spots to make a deal with Big west,money speaks no matter how bad the blood but who/what/when where, who knows but the chips are falling into place.

While I tend to not buy anything retail anymore the Macross brand will do well in the states and is a long time coming but even I can only stand to shell out 3$ an ep at most...still wish they would make better sub discs and sell them cheaper...I'd rather buy sub only than a americanized dub >> (don't worry I am a media nazi,I think Xmen films suck and spider man 1 was better than its crappy seqauls...at least Iron man was solid..the new hulk flick looks bearable as well )
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote