View Single Post
Old 2011-04-21, 18:38   Link #1211
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
@magnus
FH and wisteria took up what I would have said, which is that it seems like you're ignoring what we are actually shown to make your analysis.

The criticism over using the word 'indecisive' is a fair one to make, because the staff and cast are typically referring to Alto prior to episode 22 (or perhaps 24) when they use "furafura". They're specifically referring to his actions vis-a-vis Ranka and Sheryl, and he is shown to be going 'back and forth' between them, which is what the word encapsulates in Japanese (which 'indecisive' doesn't). Based on what Alto did in 20, i.e. how he ignored Ranka's feelings ,which Michel had emphatically pointed out just minutes before, to ask her to sing, I actually feel that Nakamura's label of 'horrible' is somewhat valid. It was the right thing to do wrt protecting the fleet, and it showed how much more important that was to him than Ranka was. But it still doesn't cancel that fact that he didn't even stop to consider why she was upset, much less do anything about it.

I'm pretty certain this 'furafura' is no longer applied after 22/24 though, to be honest...it switched to something else as a result of the reaction to the so-called 'non-resolution'. Though I'll get to that at the end of the rewatch, if at all.
Well, I wasn't talking about the triangle in specific, but more about the part of Altos actions which are not ( directly ) informed by his relationship with the two girls. Which is the part where Alto also gets tons of criticism in the show from his friends and family that he isn't being decisive... all while being a fricking combat pilot who risks his life daily in battles against an implacable enemy. Sure, he hasn't yet come to the concious conclusion that,yes, he indeed does love his home, which he before called a cage, but he is already acting in a way which proves that he does so. So I am somewhat miffed that he still gets shit for "not knowing his way".

The aspect with Sheryl and Ranka is different. I am still saying that Alto was quite aware of their feelings after the middle mark of the show ( how the hell couldn't he be after episode 15? ), but that his lack of a clear decision is not because he is wavering between the two of them, but because he doesn't want to hurt the "loser" and that he always seems to get interrupted when a moment of importance comes about in those relationships. Well, with Sheryl, mostly, because the wheel that is Ranka fell off in episode 17, when her chance to be alone with Alto evaporated into a session of not doing anything about her desires for an relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Ah, and I kept forgetting.
Wouldn't a more pertinent question be: 'why did karice choose to translate this out of all the material she could have translated?'
I can't blame you for translating an official statement. It is what it is.