View Single Post
Old 2012-11-08, 22:59   Link #2977
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Sounds a bit overly optimistic to me, especially since the "all vehicles" bit implies that self-driving and solar powered cars will become the norm in.... about 10 years at the latest? If I have to put money on it, I'd have to say not gonna happen that quickly
Nah, the same predictor says that self-driving cars should only start becoming the norm during the 2030s; hybrid cars (that use both gasoline and electricity) are slated to become the new craze during the 2020s, which is the main innovation for that decade. The 2040 solar thing I could see going either way; it's a tremendous leap, but at the same time 28 years is a pretty damn long time. Dreaming about the future makes me feel good in the here and now though, so right or wrong I'd rather be idealistic than realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual
My town already has a charging station that can charge up a battery in 25 minutes. Voltageville indeed. Actually I was surprised to learn about this since I only found out in the last week that my town had that nickname because it came up when I was doing a research paper.
Oh, wow. I thought hybrid cars were just conceptual at this point; I'm pretty amazed to learn they already exist. I'm guessing you live in a pretty big city, because I've certainly never seen one down here in the country.