View Single Post
Old 2012-12-26, 02:04   Link #432
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Hey, if you want an example of "anime you love but 'everyone else hates'", here's a good one for me. Personally, I loved Endless Eight; I found it totally fascinating from a meta perspective, and a very interesting way of conveying the inherent frustration that was intended as the point of the arc. Watching how the different episode directors/storyboard artists retold the same story was fascinating to me. And of course watching the frustration play out in the fanbase was also quite an experience. Maybe these aren't all the normal reasons to like something, but I was entertained. I will watch it again at some point; one of the most interesting (and controversial) modern art experiments of the last decade, in my view.
I didn't mind the Endless Eight because I enjoyed seeing many (sometimes very subtle) different styles. They got to play with lots of different outfits and even somewhat differing styles of character altogether. At least, that's how I remember it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I think Hidan no Aria has a lot more appeal if you've yet to see any of the other, similar series. If I saw it when I was fresh into the fandom, I probably would have liked it at lot more, but as it stands, I've seen Kugimiya Rie in a handful of similar roles, and seen so many of the cliches in the show time and time again that it just fails to entertain.

Its main problem, in my mind, is that it's simply generic. Not horrible, just completely run of the mill.
I actually liked Hidan no Aria because it was a KugiRie role that didn't involve her being a hardcore tsundere. Sure, Aria was still a bit of a tsundere, but I give that character credit for having some class! KugiRie's tsundere typecast makes me despise nearly every anime where she's the lead heroine. I honestly can't stand Toradora for this reason. Granted, Hidan no Aria was indeed generic and a bit strange considering the backstory of its characters, but it also had some genuinely interesting moments and the benefit of having good voice talent that wasn't typecast for once.