View Single Post
Old 2006-05-12, 14:34   Link #74
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
I know that weeks back when people were speculating about translating the novels, Sushi-Y did say she wasn't so enthusiastic about translating novels compared to manga. She places emphasis on the difficulty of keeping the original author's Tone and Atmosphere consistent during the translation into English - which is no easy feat as we're finding on the Wiki project. Though with the "Editors and other Translators take care of synchronising tone/atmosphere" system we've got, who knows?
Yeah, I wrote it on the first page of the translation thread when it first began.

I already replied to velocity7 about the offer, and as I mentioned in the reply, novel translation simply isn't my cup of tea. Because I'm an incredibly anal translator, I'd rather spend 30 minutes trying to think of a way to write a paragraph that remains the most faithful to the original text's tone and meaning, rather than spend 5 minutes and take liberties by using my own interpretations.

To put it bluntly, my translations sound like Japanese people speaking English, rather than English people speaking English. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the reader.

Either way, I'm slow as a cow when translating novels, nor do I have the energy to burn on them (kudos to the people working on this, it looks like you guys are actually advancing quite nicely, I'm impressed), so for the moment, I'm sitting this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
Incidentally Sushi-Y, how goes the translation of Reshuffle, the Shakugan no Shana short story you said (last month) you were translating?
Haha... People still remember that? ^^; I'm halfway through, but then the new anime season + school started and I got distracted again.

Maybe I'll finish it off when I get the time.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote