Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Kotoura-san
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 11:00   Link #59
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
This is kind of the meat of the show, and it is especially interesting considering the japanese society, with all that honne and tatemae stuff emphasizing this kind of two-faced mindset.
Oh god, then that makes those first ten minutes even worse! That shit is serious out in Japan, then someone comes along and shatters that Tatemae stuff that the whole society is built on with everyone she meets?! damn, I'm shocked she didn't get beat up behind the school or something.

anyway, yes, I am now officially hooked! I went into this not knowing what it was about or even looking at the art first, and fuuuuuuuck that was an amazing episode. . .

I really thought it was going to be some super serious dark story! then she met tumbleweed guy and the contrast (not to mention the breaking color palette) totally surprised me.

I'm in love with this show!

THAT's how a first episode should be! It's gotta hook you in, Has to state what the story is about, and has to let the viewers know what is going on. . .I've seen so many shows (i.e. k) that try to be as vague as possible, with nothing really happening, no emotion tied to any thing, no REAL conflict, no reason for the viewers to care about the characters etc. . .

The writers/directors of this show got me hooked I haven't felt like this about a first episode since. . .Steins Gate maybe? probably even before that. . . .

damn, I cant think of a first episode that had this much of an impact. . .maybe Cowboy bebop, cause that show was just awesome from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
That was unexpected good , looks like a few people are watching it here lol

Seriously who's at fault ? Those parents were shitty well at first not the mother , the father acted like your usual "Japanese father" going late home & cheat , don't care about kid ,mother's problem etc.... Then the mother couldn't take it all so she was broken.

Anyway the ending preview killed me "There are tons of people on the other side of the TV thinking dirty thoughts"
Well. . . . If you knew anything about the shit Japanese men have to go through at their work/companies, You'd probably realize that he was a lot less at fault than you think. Being a Salaryman in Japan is like entering the 7th circle of hell for the rest of you life. . .unless you get really lucky and either a)work for a company that makes you travel a lot to many western branches, b)somehow get lucky and work for a company with a culture like google (VERY RARE. . . .I've met only TWO guys in that kinda of company) or C)become some famous DJ (NOT pop musician or T.V/Movie/CM star that's like the 6th-1st circle of hell in Japan) D)A western male foreigner who really doesn't give a shit and makes his own way, WHILE getting his work done, and showing proof of it, and having the balls to protect himself legally (and let his boss know all this) from any illegal firings for not "Staying untill the boss leaves" or not "going drinking every night with coworkers after work" etc etc etc. . .which is the rarest type of all. . .

Really, all the mother had to do was to sit her ass down wit her her DAUGHTER and figure her power out, and THEN telling her daughter to keep quiet about that and/or spend a lot of time working with her about it. Even WITH the point of view of the viewers, I m pretty sure if she just sat down with her daughter, the mother would figure out what was going on. . .

Putting myself in the father's shoes, if I was working in some soul numbing job from 8am-9:30-10:00pm(usually doing this 6 days a week) while my wife couldn't figure this shit out, (or really not even try) I'd leave/find another woman too!

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I don't see how the father is supposed to do all this AND work ungodly hours at his job (which is as "Typical Japanese father" as you can get)

Combine this with the social expectation that women are typically housewives when they have their child (there are some exceptions of course) and that is looked at (and respected/expected) as a full-time job just as the Father's job is, then you'd realize that the Mother really dropped the ball on that. . . it wouldn't take that long to figure her daughter out, and explain how she needs to shut her mouth. . .hell even try to have her control her mind reading.

so yeah. . . the mother is at fault here. . .unless you wanted the father to get fired and then not pay rent and have their whole family to be homeless. . .then go ahead and blame the father, but as far as I'm concerned in his situation, he did his job.

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2013-01-11 at 11:22.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote