View Single Post
Old 2008-08-12, 01:26   Link #42
Wisshard
Ser Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(Since the obvious connection between Buhdism/Hinduism and Zoro's future abilities has been stated, I will not go into the connection too deeply.)

Zoro's "breath" seemed to be more a form of enlightenment, a harmony with nature, that Zoro attained when he was near death while fighting Mr. 1. Specifically, upon his near death experience, Zoro said that he felt the "breath" of all things around him - the placement of the material object within a greater context. He "felt" the life of the universe around him. With this discovery, Zoro found that he could exert his will over the world, specifically by allowing his sword to cut or not to cut. He then showed this ability by "allowing" his sword not to cut a palm leaf (or, possibly, "willing" the leaf to not be cut), and then "allowing" his sword to cut through stone (or, possibly "willing" the stone to be cut). His abilities then become, not a forced control over nature, but rather the ability to work in harmony with nature, finding a way to understand the universe and see how the world works. Then again, I could be looking at this far too philosophically .

That being said, Haki seems to be more of a "forced" ability (stemming entirely from one's own willpower). Specifically, the power seems to force one's own will on another, forcing them into submission.
Indeed, I find I agree more with your view than what I said earlier. And no, I don't think you are looking at it too philosophically, in fact that interpretation makes Zoro even more simulair to a samurai. Just also want to say that Chi is also about harmony so there is a parallel there too, but as you said the connection between Zoro and various of religions are obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
(O by the way he never tried to cut a leaf, that was in a flashback. And it was steel not stone).
Actually, what james0246 is correct. He did have a flashback to his teacher explaining how you when you are able to cut steel you are also able to cut nothing, and then in present he slashed against a leaf but didn't cut it and then slashed against a big rock slicing it in half. It was after that he attacked and managed to cut Mr. 1.
Wisshard is offline   Reply With Quote