View Single Post
Old 2012-08-10, 22:52   Link #1552
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRavager View Post
So maybe you'd be happier if they, I don't know, started right from episode 3 straight from the beginning or something, though that would leave people a bit lost expositionwise.
This is where I seriously get lost every time someone tries to use this argument. What critical plot exposition would we be missing if the series had started directly from episode 3?

And I'm being completely honest.

Were we lost when we didn't get two episodes exploring the backstories and relationships of those people the BETA killed in the moon in 1967? No.

Were we lost when we didn't get two episodes drawing out how the BETA conquered most of Europe and Russia in the 1980s? No.

Were we lost when we didn't get two episodes explaining the buildup to fall of Kyushu and the fate of Dead Boyfriend-chan's boyfriend? No.

So why was it absolutely necessary to tell the tragic story of this doomed cadet squadron fighting in the Battle of Kyoto in 1998, when the brutal demise of these characters and the current state of Kyoto has almost absolutely nothing to do with any of the main cast members once we hit the show's main plot of unconcerned international chuckleheads in the Middle of Nowhere, USA goofing around in simulations all day?

Here's an idea. We're shown numerous scenes of the main characters hanging out in briefing rooms. Use these scenes in addition to brief flashbacks to explain what the BETA are, how they have different classes, and where they currently stand in the whole "world conquest" scene.

There. I just easily found a way to deliver your plot exposition in a way that actually makes sense in the show's tone and setting.

Quote:
And I still dislike your insinuation that Muv-Luv fans don't know what Muv-Luv is about.
When was the last time I said that?

Quote:
"reasons to give a fuck about what's happening"-wise.
As someone who went into the TE anime completely blind and only researched the rest of Muv-Luv because of it, let me tell you that it doesn't help when the shows gives a very impactful reason why the viewer should give a fuck, but then goes NOPE LOL WE'RE GONNA DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in the opening scene of the third episode.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2012-08-10 at 23:26.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote