View Single Post
Old 2008-05-18, 02:17   Link #1
Fweakin

Existential, Philosophical, Psycological or Sociological Anime

So, recently (for some unknown reason) I've been watching a tonne of relatively mindless, unchallenging anime. I now need to find an movie/series that gives me something to stew over and become absorbed in.

Ideally, I'm after something that has an emphasis on the above themes. Something that puts a microscope on a certain aspect of humanity or society.

Similar series that I loved include:

Simoun - which touched on a vast array of issues (war, love, gender roles, politics, religion) without making it feel like an after school special and without having every issue resolved.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - as frustrating a series as it is, the examination of the human mind (and its subsequent meltdown) is one of the most gritty and uncomfortable in its realism. Also helped by its apocalyptic setting.

5 Centimetres per second - I loved how it examined the feelings of the protagonist through 3 different periods in time and how even if two people have mutual feelings for one another, things don't always work as planned.

Ef ~ a tale of memories - the metaphors, the symbolism, the message-breakdown scene, and the beautiful way in which the series was handled.

Heres a list of series I have seen: MyAnimeList

I hear Serial Experiment Lain is supposed to be good. Thoughts?