View Single Post
Old 2012-04-09, 11:17   Link #213
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
With Madoka Magica, the image of "conventional" or "standard" magical girl anime was promoted, and the switch was to "darker" and "different".

Demi Soda seems to be arguing that with this show the exact opposite is going on - The image of darker and different was promoted, but instead we get conventional and standard.

I think it's pretty clear which of these types of switches is more inherently disappointing than the other one.

I'm not necessarily saying that Demi Soda is right (I don't know, I'm watching this mainly since Coldlight recommended it to me, and so I'm coming in pretty much entirely blind here), but if I was expecting dark/different and I got standard/conventional, I'd consider that quite a letdown. So I think people should cut Demi Soda some slack here, especially since I know for a fact that Demi Soda likes serious mystery/horror and has had to put up with some real disappointments there lately (such as the ending to Another).

Now, that being said, I largely enjoyed this first episode.

I agree with Coldlight that it did seem a tad bit wasteful to basically redo a full third or so of the episode. While that did increase the comedy value some, it also made everything seem a bit dragged out to me.

However, I loved the visuals, I loved the seiyu work, and I really like the overall style of this show. I think the cast is pretty well-balanced, although I hope the dialogue is spread out a bit more evenly in the future. And yes, Coldlight, Kirie reminds me a bit of someone we're both big fans of, lol. Mind you, Kirie is a lot less genki girl than that character is, similarly serious-minded though.

I do like parts of the premise of this show, especially this ghost girl being someone who can only be touched by the male lead. I have to admit, that's a pretty cool concept.

The character designs, artwork, and animation are all really nice in this too. It comes together beautifully. That's especially true of that forest path walk against a brilliant sunset. Man, that was truly gorgeous visuals, honestly reminding me of a Thomas Kinkade painting.

The tone I'm getting from this show is that it's very anime-esque, but also that it has a mix of mystery, horror, and comedy similar to the old Ghostbusters cartoon of the 1980s. If that continues, I'm happy with that overall balance.

I'll give this episode a 8/10. It would be a 7/10 if not for those breathtaking visuals at the end, but those alone earn it an extra point.

I am looking forward to the second episode.