View Single Post
Old 2011-03-04, 16:56   Link #1028
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
You know, using Alto's words, one can see him projecting his own issues onto Ranka ("If it were me, I'd want to know the truth!" [On Your Marks] "Why not just ignore parents and siblings altogether? They wouldn't understand you even if you told them." [Bye-Bye Sheryl]).

Don't get me wrong, he'll encourage Ranka when needed, but lying just to spare her feelings, feelings he doesn't even know she has, is probably not one of them. Considering that he gives her a ticket to Sheryl's concert soon afterwards (even Michael goes "Idiot." when he does that).
I have to agree 100% in the projection issues Alto has with Ranka's ordeal. It might seem like bonding, but he's not actually listening to her, but actually watching his own distorted reflection.

It's a bit contrasting this and his way to connect with Sheryl, due to their duties they have, their sense of shared responsibility, etc.

Ranka on the other hand, idealizes both Alto and Sheryl (crush + role model). At least in the beginning (or during most of the TV series). When she slaps Sheryl, for instance, I don't THINK she mean anything mean, but she has not way to deal with a crisis than mimicking her (never mind it's uncalled for due to the circumstances).

Sheryl's issues have more linked to her own issues to express her inner feelings, like she wears an armor to not burden others for her sake.

EDIT: Read this. Established couple it seems, it was planned ahead the theater release.

ALSO good news for Macross Seven triangle. It seems it was 'resolved' by that little bit of info.
Spoiler for If you didn't want to click:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-03-04 at 19:42.