View Single Post
Old 2011-04-25, 11:46   Link #975
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
But even you have to admit, these last two episodes don't seem like they come from the same anime we see in the first two episodes. It's like they switched out Mari-san for the author of Nichijou. Sure, Ohana and company are all in the same inn, but it's a total flip-flop where styles are concerned.
I admit no such thing. While 3 was an aberration - and that's putting it kindly - I thought 4 was totally consistent in style with the first two episodes. First of all, there was comedy in the first two eps and there was drama in the last one. Second, the presence of comedy does preclude a series being dramatic - and vice-versa. There were hilarious moments in True Tears but I haven't heard anyone ripping it for being a mindless comedy.

When I started this series I thought it was going to be about Ohana's search for herself, and how that conflicted with her sincere love for Ko and yes, even her mother. I thought it was going to be about her adjustment to life in a small resort town, and the impact she would have on the people there. I thought it would be about how she, her mother and grandmother would all come to understand each other through Ohana's interaction with Grandma. I saw nothing in episode 4 that made me think otherwise. Ohana's interactions with her HS colleagues are being treated as some sort of sign of the apocalypse, but her school life is part of life. This series is about her whole experience and I have no issues with her school struggles being a part of the depiction of that.

We have two cours to work with here. It's too early to make final decisions about everything that's going to happen. That's plenty of time to tell a complete, balanced story that has many different facets. I don't consider that a negative - I think it's great.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote