View Single Post
Old 2008-07-15, 01:38   Link #534
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I do think it's tragic in a way, but I personally thought it was actually pretty well played out. The fact that just having a crush on someone and going out with them isn't enough to make a relationship work is a subject that isn't covered very often in anime (which almost invariably are the other way around). So I actually think it's neat that they tried to do something a bit different, and since they weren't going to do the plot from the game (again, sacrificed for the canon story), I sort of liked what they did with it. And with the way things were left, it's not as if the door is completely closed. So even though almost all the plot deviation came at the expense of Yoshiyuki's personality and emotional IQ, I still liked what they did with it overall.
The problem is that Koko did try to make the relationship work while Yoshiyuki did his utmost best to completely ignore her. Now this would be alright if he refused her confession...but the guy accepted it without investing any amount of emotional (and physical) effort into it. They didn't do anything but make viewers hate Yoshiyuki (although not to Makoto-esque levels). They tried to be unique and utterly failed at it (a testament to the amount of viewers DCII:SS had). If they did the love angst drama and shoved little tidbits or just completely remove Minatsu's story, pretty sure DCII would have been received better...