View Single Post
Old 2012-10-30, 11:45   Link #152
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
It's not a matter of preferring a more loyal adaption, but the inability of the anime to tell its own story coherently... and this is very problematic for the 5th episode, unlike the first four.
The way you are unhappy with it implies you think the anime will never get to it. For all we know, the very next episode may explain things. I understand that it's something that bothers people and they feel the need to critique it, but I'm not seeing much benefit of the doubt here. No willingness to give things time to work.

I'm often critical of adaptations that change things for seemingly no reason. For example Sora no Otoshimono made huge changes from the manga version. However I reserved much of my criticism until the end, because I really had no idea how the anime would play out. Sometimes changes make for a better final product, sometimes they don't.

With so much happening in five episodes, I'm not expecting many explanations immediately. Just look at episode four, and how many people did not like the "info dump". They wanted show, not tell. It's hard to please everyone.

I know many of us, myself and yourself included, have not read the novel. We may be spoiled on events (big ones), but not much of the details. We're relying on second hand information - the people who read the book telling us in cliffnotes about their interpretation of what happened or what scenes meant. This is precisely why I have been so critical of novel/manga discussion for this series. Except for a handful of people, no one else really knows what is going on or what will happen next. Their only point of reference is the anime, and they can only speak of that. And since this is a subforum about the anime, that is perfectly fine and expected.

All I'm saying is give it time. Five episodes really isn't much in a two cour series. Put your critique in the appropriate threads when we've hit episode 17 or 20 and you still don't like it.

On a personal note, I do sometimes lament how the relatively recent rise in translated (legal and illegal) novels and manga have put a dampening effect on anime discussion. So many people come to discuss anime now pre-armed with all sorts of spoilers and info, which reduces a lot of discussion about characters and plot events to "I wonder how it will compare to what I already know from the novel/manga".

It's not something that can be escaped, but attempts to mitigate it are difficult since many people who are already spoiled have no interest in speculative debate, since they already know what will happen and they are more prone to dominate discussion with talk of what has changed between source and adaptation, and not what has happened in only the anime. A lot of the mystery and wonder has diminished in anime discussion as a result, and it makes discussing non-original anime very unappealing sometimes.

If people wonder about why anime discussion here and elsewhere has changed so much, I personally point to the widely translated source material and the industries reliance on adapting that material over original content as one of the big culprits.