View Single Post
Old 2010-08-21, 18:27   Link #482
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
A "knowingly evil act" would be committed not towards the characters (that's their job after all) but towards the readers who expected a story that would actually, you know, hold some ideals, and was presented initially as such.
Presented as how? R07 did say long ago Umineko would not necessarily have a happy end. The possibility of kakeras not actually existing, but being fiction was there since EP4. People just wanted to assume they worked like in Higurashi.

Also, additionally, I think the ending of EP7 more or so hinted that some degree of a happy end could be had. Battler did tell Ange this one wouldn't be a sad nor a painful story, and that any value judgement would have to come from her (i.e. the reader). There was also the bit with Will and Lyon saying they believed Beatrice could get a happy end, which is basically R07 telling his readers to wait and see how things unfold in EP8. However, there's also the Red from Bern saying this story wouldn't have a happy end, which is basically there to tell you, there won't be a perfect end.