View Single Post
Old 2012-01-17, 18:26   Link #2030
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

True (mostly..there is debate over the Privateer status of a pair of sub hunting blimps in the Second World War). However this has come up in recent times:

Quote:
-Wikipedia on Letter of Marque
The issue of marque and reprisal was raised before Congress after the September 11 attacks and again on July 21, 2007, by Congressman Ron Paul. The attacks were defined as acts of "air piracy" and the Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001 was introduced, which would have granted the president the authority to use letters of marque and reprisal against the specific terrorists, instead of warring against a foreign state. The terrorists were compared to pirates in that they are difficult to fight by traditional military means. Congressman Paul on April 15, 2009, also advocated the use of letters of marque to address the issue of Somali pirates operating in the Gulf of Aden. However, the bills Congressman Paul introduced were not enacted into law.
I know that my father use to want to go after pirates and the like as privateers. Something like a group of old vets using Vietnam or older era equipment to fight for pay. I think he wanted a old converted LST and a group of PBRs and Swift boats and the like. Lot of Brown Water Navy and coastal waters gear.