View Single Post
Old 2012-01-25, 11:37   Link #36
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I'm sure all of us have been in the situation where someone dismisses (or downright dislikes) the same positive qualities of a show that makes us love it, and remember the bitter feeling said opinion can leave behind. Someone seeing negatives where you see positives can be a tough negotiation table to sit around indeed.

However, that is not a reason to essentially "ban" negative opinions on series altogether. AnimeSuki is a discussion forum (I'm sure you've heard that one before), and we welcome all opinions on a subject, be them agreeable or disagreeable with the subject at hand, so long as said opinions are expressed with the same general courtesy we demand from all communication done on the forum.

That doesn't mean everything is allowed either, and if someone seems to be posting with an only goal to aggravate the discussion at hand, feel free to report said posts - we will look in to it, as always, and if we indeed can determine the behavior and posting pattern as such, we will take action against it. The mere fact of having a continuously low opinion on something doesn't necessarily amount to what I described above (which would essentially be trolling) however, nor does seeing flaws where an other sees quality (a subjective thing by all means) make said stance a less legit one.

Which is why any such potential cases are to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, rather than have global policies implemented to discourage negative opinions over something in general, never mind actually combating them.

This, regretfully, means that you are prone to meet opinions that run counter to your own, heavily even. Such is the nature of online communication and sharing of opinions, and the hard part to realize is that said opinions aren't any more "wrong" or "improper" than your own. While we can only dream of a day where all anime is a universal masterpiece that appeals to everyone and summons only positive response, sadly we are not there yet - and as such, have to live with stances that cross ours on an open discussion floor.

Fansites exist there for a reason - to serve as a gathering place for people who share the same enthusiasm on the specific subject at question. AnimeSuki, however, is not a fansite. It is a discussion forum that unifies people by our overall interest in anime, not out of agreement on any specific anime at hand. And while truly enjoying a show one feels inclined to post about can be seen as a good trait indeed, that isn't a requirement for participating in the conversation here, nor is it a measure we would ever segregate members by.

Which is why artificial barriers for entry in a discussion will not exist on AnimeSuki, it runs counter to the very idea of this site being an umbrella where all anime fans can gather under. I'm sorry that some pushing and poking happens occasionally, but that doesn't mean we will prevent people from trying to wrestle their own spot under the overall cover altogether, based on a X level of devotion criteria.

Indeed, polarized opinions or even polarized fanbases happen, but their entire separation is not on the table. Never mind to the extremes of having separate threads for both [Positive] and [Negative] opinions, that is, frankly, a fairly ridiculous idea and would serve as a festering ground for mutual animosity and even bigger rifts between said opinions, not to mention a stage ripe for trolling by the other "side".

I apologize if that's not what some would want to hear, but the purpose of AnimeSuki is not to safeguard you against opinions that you wouldn't wish to hear. Fansites are there for that reason, but the doors of AnimeSuki are open to everyone (at first), not just the dedicated fans of a series. Turning some form of an opinion into an official second class citizen won't happen.

TL;DR: If there seems to be an issue brewing, report it, and it will be dealt with to the best of our abilities. I'm sorry if the forum's staff sometimes doesn't see things completely your way, but sadly we have yet to find a way to please everyone (though we are trying!), and have our own standards we adhere to, which has shaped AnimeSuki in to what it is today.

I thank everyone for posting their opinions on the subject, but I'm afraid the thread is going to be closed - the original proposal simply isn't on the discussion table.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2012-01-25 at 12:11.