View Single Post
Old 2013-03-29, 09:45   Link #237
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAAkira View Post

@novalysis - Back to the fix-fic thing, if you're still interested, I remembered there was something like that: Five Ways Asuna Could Have Successfully Made A Jailbreak by Satori. Summary tells more:

Asuna was a lead clearer in SAO, known as 'the Flash' for her speed and grace. She rose to a leadership position in the premiere guild of that Game, risking her life to protect others. She was the antithesis of the damsel of distress. That she more or less became one in the first ALO arc was just plain fury-inducing.

Here are five antidotes to the 'lone hero syndrome' that the arc seems to have fallen prey to.
That was utterly awesome. Thanks for sharing that feat of a work. I presume though, that the author read the LN translations? Else, it would have been quite tricky matching the monologue style of Asuna - given that the anime did such an abominable job of capturing internal thoughts.

But, the fix-fic isn't just in reference to ALO - there are rabid segments of the hatedom who think that Aincard is terrible, that all the characters are shallow, and the pacing is bad.

Most of this, IMO is the fault of the Anime - and also, the inherent difficulty of adapting a story that really is quite fragmented, due to the quirks of it's origin, to the point the author is rewriting the whole story in chronological order.

Certainly, I think the problems started when Aria/the second episode failed to really capture the atmosphere properly. Skipping First Day was also a horrible idea, IMO, since without it, it's very difficult to understand Suguha's influence on Kirito's mindstate properly. If it had been animated, I think the audience would have seen a clear sub-plot that ran from First Day, to Red Nose Reindeer, to Kirito's helping Scillia, that really reached denouement and took the principle characterization focus of ALO.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote