View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 04:52   Link #93
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Why do I say Hanasaku has an identity crisis? I'll add a lot more stuff later, but I'll describe episode 1 to you, and then I want people to try and link this episode with episodes 3 and 7. If this doesn't seem like a different show, well hopefully the rest of what I'll add will.

Episode 1

The show opens up with a scene of the daily apartment life of Ohana and her mother. We're shown from the getgo that Ohana has an irresponsible mother and that Ohana has to take care of the house work. Now often times this sort of thing is played to either a dramatic or comedic effect. A good example of it being more comedic would be something like Toradora.

What does Hanasaku do? Not overly dramatic, but it portrays it in a seemingly natural way, as if this is supposed to be the way Ohana's life is. Ohana doesn't necessarily seem happy with it, but there doesn't seem like much she can do to change the situation. We the viewers look at the situation and think, "Oh, her mother kind of sucks, she's irresponsible." Again, Ohana doesn't make a big deal of it, but does express visible dissatisfaction with her current home life.

From the very beginning, the show was presented in a lively manner, but also a pretty down to earth. Will it be more comedic? Will it be more dramatic?

These questions seem to be answered later on in the episode. We transfer from Ohana's house life to her life in school with her friend Kou. There is a moment of two of silliness (Corn at bottom of can scene), but nothing overly extreme in comedy. It was around here that Ohana gave a speech about how she finds her current life dull, how she'll probably follow a pretty pragmatic lifestyle without much else. She expresses a liking for something a bit more dramatic.

What happens almost directly after? Well Ohana's mother decides she wants to run away without her and sends Ohana to live with her grandmother. Now again, with Ohana's reaction to the matter, the drama of such a scene is played down quite a bit, but Ohana doesn't certainly approve. We're supposed to feel for her and her situation, but Okada does her best here to not let the emotions weigh down too heavily. OK, so they aren't going for flat break neck speed drama. But so far the show hasn't been all that comedic in nature, though it's a bit charming and funny at times. It's a rather down to earth, coming of age story as far as I can tell.

So then Ohana precedes to notify Kou of the development and then a confession scene happens. Unlike the scene before, there is a bit more emotion put into this and it leaves Ohana something to think about as she goes on her new life's journey. Now Ohana isn't constantly worried to death about these issues, but it seems like it's starting to build up as evident in her train scene.

However, with the birth of a new world before her, and the shining sun, she holds hope for the new life she's about to receive. Could it be that dazzling sparkling life she has imagined? When she gets to the hotspring inn, this seems to be anything but the case. The first thing that happens is she comes to the inn is get a death threat from a girl for pulling out her plants. Now this wasn't a highly dramatic scene again, but it was yet another obstacle emotionally speaking for Ohana. From the beginning of her new life, she wasn't welcomed.

She then meets with her less than friendly grandmother who treats her pretty harshly, by putting her to immediate work. The rest of the staff doesn't treat her that well either. She continues to try her best and well this leads to the slapping scene which doesn't really need an explanation.

Overall, the first episode wasn't overly serious, but it seemed like a very well grounded, coming of age story. What exactly about these other episodes (3 and 7 specifically) seems to be well grounded?

Last edited by Reckoner; 2011-05-16 at 05:02.