View Single Post
Old 2010-06-10, 13:18   Link #2051
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
I'm still not entirely sure what you're talking about. Do you mean mental damage to him as a result of using Archer's arm?
That too but I was referring to Sakura in that she was able to become sane afterwards(despite some minor side effects) and that there were no real serious problems regarding her mental state that would involve psychiatric treatment.

Quote:
Well, perhaps, although that wasn't so much a decision not to kill her as alack of willingness to stab the person you live in the heart, which is kind of understandable, really.... Not to mention that, if you go through with it, you just get yourself killed, which likely would result in Sakura going Dark without any way of stopping her.
To be fair though we have no indication that Rider is going to kill you which is part of the reason why I feel that Nasu is forcing the route down your throat.

Quote:
They would end up like Kiritsugu if they were forced to make decisions like MoS Shirou does, because the human mind simply isn't capable of caring equally about every person in the world unless you think of people as abstract entities, which precludes any true emotional attachments.

There's a difference between being unable to save a loved one and actively making a decision to kill that loved one when they perhaps could have been saved. HF Shirou didn't think Sakura was unsalvageable, so killing her would break him. I can't think of any superhero who has been forced into a situation where they are forced to kill someone they love in cold blood when they were clearly not an immediate danger to anyone.
This is never brought up in any superhero situations because the romance interest is almost always a normal human being with no supernatural powers. There are cases of love interests being killed but that was more of an immediate danger. Nasu somewhat avoids this as well though because if Sakura had physically attacked the house and if Shirou had a chance to kill her, he should. However the next time we really meet Sakura after her running away is in the cave where at that point it doesn't matter either way.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote