View Single Post
Old 2009-03-29, 01:51   Link #459
Jeiku

While I'm not a fan of tsundere characters, I suppose I actually benefit from not having seen any other of Rie Kugimiya's roles (aside from Shana, whom I really didn't like, and Alphonse, who's a totally different character), let alone many tsundere characters in the first place. I wouldn't say very much of the show was actually believable in a plausible sense, anyway - but I enjoyed it for what it was - the characters had dimension, and I found several genuinely heartwarming moments between Taiga and Ryuuji.

I suppose it's a matter of me not necessarily supporting the two as a couple (I'm rarely into shipping, though I do somewhat like the couple, I have to admit), so much as I love seeing the general bond between the two, whether it be romantic, friendship, or familial - especially familial. I withheld a great deal of suspension of disbelief to the show, mainly because I walked into it expecting a retarded-ass harem anime with an idiot male lead. While Toradora! ended up exceeding my extremely low expectations, it also found its way as a genuinely enjoyable series with characters I've grown attached to.

It's not the most amazing series, but for what it's worth as well as what the show set out to accomplish, I quite loved it. Despite the clichés, I don't think the show suffered from them at all.