Thread: Licensed Kuragehime (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-08, 00:40   Link #434
Falkor

episode 11 - "we are bound by fate"

I will miss Kuragehime a lot. I really hope there's a second season to this, but I can't get my hopes up. I get the feeling we are not even half way through the story.

I will remember Kuragehime not only for its great comedy and characters, but also because of Kana Hanazawa's performance. Last episode was a nice reminder of how much I have come to like both her voice and work on this show.

Tsukimi is perhaps one my favorite females of this year that has gone by. I can identify with her character the most; her strong interest in jellyfish or her shyness are aspects I too have. I think she's changed, though subtly, throughout the course of the show. Meeting Kuranosuke and the way her life has been taking sudden turns at each curve are testament of this change. Tsukimi is slowly discovering that she can put her mind to something she likes and be appreciated for who she is. The white dress is a representation/materialization of the jellyfish that has set in her mind, but also embodies this idea of doing something for herself (and others), while remaining an otaku. Tsukimi too is a jellyfish princess.

Tsukimi and Kuranosuke not only share a lot of chemistry together, but also many aspects of their lives. They basically complement each other shortcomings and relate to each other in very significant ways. I would like to say that the line "we are bound by fate" perfectly describes what this relationship has been about. He can make anyone look like a beauty, even Tsukimi; and she can create any dress he wants by projecting her jellyfish feelings. They both have a strong attachment to their respective mother, which has defined their likes and dislikes, their current interests and goals. "we are bound by fate" not only says something about Kuranosuke and Tsukimi, and the way they both have come to interact and support each other ever since their first meeting, but also foreshadows the importance this relationship will still have into the future, for her and him.

Kuragehime was built around these two, but also had a large cast of charming supporting characters who added an endless fun to the show. That too, I will remember. I get the feeling there's still so much to see from this work, from these characters. But this has been truly one of my favorite shows of the past year.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote