Thread: Licensed Rose of Versailles
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-23, 20:18   Link #15
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan
Count me in with the group that doesn't like Utena but loves RoV. I got sick of the weirdness and the fact that just about everyone on the show was utterly unlikable (save for Utena and Anthy) and quit after the Student Council arc. Still, there's no denying that Utena gets a lot of people interested in RoV, if only because of the comparisons.
Wow, really? Happy! I thought I was the only one Only thing I liked from Utena was the opening.

I guess RoV gets compared to Utena also because RoV was such an influential manga, popular at a time when the shoujo genre was pretty much being re-invented by a new generation of popular female manga creators. The very first shoujo manga were written by men.

If one is going to go back to the earliest example of a main character with gender identity crisis, that should be Ribbon no Kishi (Princess Knight). Like RoV, it was also aired in my country

I loved it when I was a kid. Fortunately, I could tape the "movie" (actually a 90min complation of the series) in Beta. One day I'll rip it and everybody will envy me, even if it's the lousiest quality
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote