View Single Post
Old 2009-09-04, 02:53   Link #90
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
That was already answer in the manga when it was said he was a marine hero . When Sengoku told him if you were not a marine hero he would have. Then grap said well if you think killing a old timer like me going to matter go on ahead . Which means it make no sense kill a marine hero and cause trouble for the WG when they have nothing to gain from it. Not that he has any sway in the WG.

By the way what i am talking about is on chapter 530 page 6
Actually, the fact that killing him would do more harm than good is a form of influence ("sway"). As you have said many times, this is an organization that will hunt down and kill anyone related to those they consider major criminals. Considering that they have never killed Garp, despite his massive connections to the very elite of the pirate/revolutionary world, means that Garp has a major sway in the Marines, the world (public opinion supports him), and even the WG.

I'm not sure why you are arguing this point. Anyone who has the military history that Garp does would have influence in the world. That does not mean he controls anything of importance (he was tasked, way back in the beginning with bringing the nobody Morgan to a prison - I can't think of a lower task than that for a Vice-Admiral to do), but rather his name recognition is so great that people listen to his words, even if they do not necessarily follow his advice.