View Single Post
Old 2009-04-15, 01:54   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Any specific things you can think of that you find problems, Vexx? I was kind of curious as to how your experiment with CR was going.
CR's streams are H.264 based... the exact same technology used to encode a lot of modern fansubs. The streaming version is often smaller, but that's because it's more compressed, which eats into image quality. Fansubbers could also reduce file sizes if they were willing to sacrifice image quality.
1) Streaming IS downloading as 0utf0xZer0 says.... you're just "not getting to save it" (unless you have some form of stream capture).

2) Yeah, they're using h.264 ... but then a driver who is competent in a Volkswagen is not necessarily good at driving a Porsche. CR either fails at encoding or they're getting crappy source (haven't really dug into it) but the result is rather choppy no matter how good the computer is.

If I'm paying money for the transmission, that's really not acceptable. However, if they're mostly trying to snare the "watches it on low-quality Youtube" crowd then I'm not their target of interest (a shame since I'm very likely to *buy* DVDs of what I like).

(Using Saki as my test case comparing CR to a raw to a particular fansub)