View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 12:43   Link #966
Saishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inept Forum User View Post
I've been thinking about magic that is derived from taking stories and overwriting religious motifs onto them (e.g. Cendrillon's magic), and their limits. However I haven't got a particularly good grasp of magical processes so I was wondering if someone could point out if I've gone wrong somewhere.

If I understand correctly, Idol Theory states that duplicates retain a tiny fraction of the power of the original, and this is how most magicians draw their power. If the stories need to be overwritten with religious motifs in order to use them as the basis for magic, would this mean that the source of power is entirely from the religion the motifs came from merely moulded by the shape of the story, or would the figures the story was based on have had to have actual power as well? Also, if it were entirely derived from religion, wouldn't it be limited by any limits of that religion as a result?
It don't need to have religion meaning to work, but it helps because of the nature of magic.

Something have a magic meaning when it is believed to have so by humanity, it does not mean people must believe something is magic, just means something must be in the human psique.

Religion spells are famous because religion is very widespread, among people and among history it is rooted very deeply in our world so it is easier to extract the magical meaning.

But we have spells like Scattered Grass from Itsuwa who uses the meaning of layers of a tree as their age to reinforce a weapon with many layers of resine.
So it uses a meaning that is rooted in our world but is not religious.

Edit: I would just like to comment about the Shopping Mall Demonstration Side Story, a magic cabal was investigating it because it was believed they could use a software (that was able to control group psychology) as a means to interfere in the magic side.

Last edited by Saishy; 2012-07-21 at 21:28.
Saishy is offline   Reply With Quote