View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 15:07   Link #32
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
So what feel-great(or even a bit bittersweet along the way) anime do you think would make a worth-while experience for me to try out? Thanks in advance in case I'm not able to get online for a while.
You seem to share a lot of my preferences, so I guess I can try to give you my opinions :

- My first and strongest recommandation would be Ef : Tales of Memories/Melody. It's a glorious celebration of love and romantism that still manage to avoid the pitfalls of sugary romance, keeping maturity and drama all the way. The graphics look dated, but the story it's just beautiful.

- Sword Art Online is more action stuff, but there is a fair bit of romance as well, and it's one of the most refreshing I've seen for a while (especially because it doesn't take them 24 episodes to actually DO SOMETHING).

- I strongly second the Spice and Wolf, Crest/Banner of the Stars and Kotoura suggestions.

- On the contrary, I'm going against the suggestion of Infinite Stratos. This is the quintessence of what you said you'd prefer to avoid : harem, pointless fanservice, dense-as-brick-and-ridiculously-blind-and-indecisive MC.

Also, if you're looking more for the "feel good" part, and not mainly for the romance :

- Tari Tari doesn't involve romance, but it's great as a "feel good" serie (and it's great as a serie, period).

- Baka to Test does include romance, but more as a parody (save for two rather moving episodes in S2) with the usual "oblivious to love" idiotic MC - save that in this case, it's completely on purpose and mainly played for real laughs. Mainly, it's just very funny.

- Lucky Star has NO romance at all, but it's the very best show to watch when you're feeling down. It just oozes of good spirits and put a smile on my face every single time I see it. You have to like the very specific kind of humour, but if you do, it's a blast.

Last edited by Akka; 2013-02-03 at 15:34.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote