View Single Post
Old 2009-04-08, 23:54   Link #21
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz
If you don't want to take a game serious that fine, but some people enjoy high skilled competition, just check the guarena, and dota, if you want to just mess around u just pub it, but if you want people who know all the builds laning theories and character stats you go to gaurena, the same goes for CS, if the damn server is called CPL practice match and you go in expecting people to play around then you are sorely mistaken. For many of "us" we enjoy the competition and thats what makes games interesting, does it mean I don't play casual games? Hell No, I play geom wars, world of goo and whole slew of other "casual" games, and hell for most rts I'm pretty casual, its just some aspects of MP such as the competitive nature is whats interesting. Same goes for Unreal Live, its basically a leaderboard where everybody is nuts with the rocket luancher and everybody bunny hops like their some god at the game, does it make the game any less fun? No because for me that environment really gets my blood bumping and the adrenaline/dopamine really flowing to my brain.
I honestly don't understand what you're responding to. Whether one considers games as serious business or not isn't the point I was trying to get at.

Like I said before, outside fanboy bickering (which seems to be the experience of where you're coming from) labels such as "casual" and "hardcore" are used in describing types of gamers, their preferred games and so on. These are merely catch-all descriptions more general than genre specific ones such as fighting gamers, sports gamers, etc. On the other hand, this is why some people dislike these terms, because "hardcore" and "casual" are too general that they engender "us vs. them" discussions. But the "casual" is part of the market now—whether one likes it or not.

The fact that people can distinguish what a "casual" game even is (not to mention, continue to use the term itself) already asserts its distinction and audience. Let's not delude ourselves that the term is completely meaningless. Casual games are here, shovelware or otherwise. They exist, so do casual gamers who like to play them.

With that said, I agree that if you like games and play them as a hobby, you're a gamer in one way or another. That's that.

Last edited by kujoe; 2009-04-09 at 00:06.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote