View Single Post
Old 2007-03-13, 19:22   Link #50
Fome

@Jinto Lin

Even with your examples, I still see everything as primarily fear driven. But before I start, let my clarify my definition of fear. It is the desire to avoid some sort of pain. And I equate pain with the absence of pleasure. In others, you feel bad whenever you don't feel good.

When I view others as extensions of myself, I cannot harm them because I fear harming myself. And when you try to give meaning to your life and fight for it, it is driven by the fear of a meaningless life, which is really a groundless fear, since life has no meaning. In any case, you seek pleasure, which is the absence of pain, but you can easily feel pleasure without giving yourself any purpose. I live everday in a out just existing, feeling the results of countless chemical reactions that deliver to me the sensation of pleasure. I don't pretend it's anything else. If you think I live a shallow life, you must also believe you are living a more meaningful (and by extension happier) life, in which case I would ask you kindly to quantify your happiness and compare it with mine.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote