Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 01:11   Link #3211
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Imagine if K-On were as technically focused as this show (i.e. on instruments and performance), would we necessarily care about the characters as much?
My position on this has been made clear by the posts above, and I included Upotte!! in the discussion for the same reasons as this show. Now, in that case, the personalities of the girls were tied into their anthropomorphization, but the nature of the discussion once again became too out of my league. I may not be the biggest fan of military stuff just because of my personality, but I'm okay with and even enjoy Strike Witches, despite it having as much military stuff, but like you said with the K-ON! example, this could apply to basically anything.

It's fiction, not a textbook. I'm sure that this show/Upotte! provide a great forum for fans of these topics to engage in lively chatter, and it does tangentially relate to the show... but I'm not sure how much it's treating it as a work of fiction. A weapon or a musical instrument should function more as a symbol, rather than being something to simply recite factoids about. In K-ON!, it stands for the bonds of friendship and finding a purpose. For Strike Witches, it represents saving lives and discovering one's true potential. For the other two shows, the items, tautologically, seem to be symbols for themselves. They're used in tournaments and such, but that seems to be more of a way to show off the variety than to really define the characters or move them forward, even a little bit.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote