View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 19:01   Link #648
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Right, but this isn't an adaptation of the manga, it's an adaptation of the novel. A few people have already said the novel and manga differ, so it's to be expected that the anime will differ from those two as well.

For all the talk of sex being toned down or not shown and how important it is, I should note that there were images of "intimate" scenes in the promotional material (not overly graphic, but the intent of the scene was crystal clear). You can still show importance from those scenes without displaying them in all their manga glory - which from what I've heard has taken its own license of liberty from the novel.

I'm a little worried that people are focusing on this too much. It's four episodes in, we just got a huge info dump, and we simply don't know what the anime will throw at us next. Maybe we'll get those "deleted" sex scenes, maybe not. It's two cour, remember? Four episodes is nothing when you're looking at another twenty before it's done.

Either way, let's not get bogged down too much in comparisons, especially since most of us lack the language understanding to discern their context in the overall story. Let's just focus on the anime and what it gives us - this is the anime thread, after all.
The subject matter is also involving 14 yos (after time skip) and 12 yos (before time skip) and times have changed since 2008. Stuff has to get "toned down" or else the title won't be taken seriously imo since it's a TV series. It's not a theatrical like Mardock Scramble and even then Balot was 16 yo iirc. Right now it's done a classy presentation with the subject matter.

Last edited by orion; 2012-10-21 at 19:13.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote