View Single Post
Old 2009-09-30, 19:42   Link #62
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Oh, and when it says that the naming convention includes "title," does that mean the title of the series as it exists on the page? So it must be "2009 fall kuuchuu blank.jpg" rather than alternatives like "2009 fall trapeze.jpg"?
I've personally been taking it rather liberally to mean "a title that will uniquely identify that show compared to all the others", more to prevent stupid names like "myImage.jpg" or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Edit: Wow that was non-intuitive. I actually had to upload it again with underscores even though the reference uses spaces in the name.
Yes, I know. This is terribly counter-intuitive and confusing. I noticed it by happenstance when reviewing the way other people had uploaded files, but normally we would consider this a software design failure.

<rant>In fact, I think Wikis in generally are completely counter-intuitive, and MediaWiki is the one of the worst among them. The goal of public participation shouldn't require people to need to understand abstract meta-code like this:

Code:
{{alitem|image=2009 fall to aru railgun.jpg|title=To Aru Kagaku no Railgun|date={{#dateformat:2009-10-03}}|type=TV|eps=|animesuki={{asthread|79331}}|links=[http://www.project-railgun.net/ Official Site] &bull; {{anidb|a6460}}|desc=}}
Wow that was easy!! What could be simpler?!

Usually one would design a real database with intuitive forms to allow people to edit this data in a way that's understandable to people who don't edit Wikis in their spare time. And that way you also get all the other benefits of having an actual database, like easy querying, reporting, sorting, re-organizing, and so on. But Wikis have now, for some reason, become the standard for "user-editable content", and MediaWiki the standard by virtue of the fact that Wikipedia uses it...</rant>

So... all that said, I still support this project, because I think it's a good idea to have this sort of reference, but I do think Wiki isn't a great tool for the specific job of building an upcoming anime database. But to be clear, I don't think anyone involved in this project has done anything wrong in their implementation... that's just how MediaWiki is.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote