View Single Post
Old 2009-09-30, 21:16   Link #63
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But to be clear, I don't think anyone involved in this project has done anything wrong in their implementation... that's just how MediaWiki is.
I certainly didn't want to leave anyone with the impression that I thought the implementation was wrong. I have the utmost respect for the technical prowess of GHDpro and Nightwish. My complaints had to do with the Mediawiki software itself, and what appear to be rather silly defaults like restricting people from deleting material that they upload.

My turn to rant:
I can understand wanting to preserve the history of changes to existing pages or files, but I don't understand the logic that says ordinary users can create content but can't delete their creations when that content has yet to be edited by anyone else. It's one thing to block deletions in the case where a page I've created has been edited by others, since that policy prevents abuse by the originator. (The obvious case is where I post something controversial then take it down once someone objects to my remarks.) But until something is edited by other users, I don't see any reason that the originator should be blocked from removing his or her own contributions.
</rant>

I've thought for a while about building a forms-based database that might consolidate some of the dribs and drabs of information about anime programs not readily available from a single source. Given my interest and professional training in statistics, I've thought about compiling the sales and viewing figures from the relevant threads here and tying them to information available in places like AniDB. I haven't mentioned this before in this thread because my goals are pretty distinct from the ones Slice brought up at the outset. If I do go down this road someday, I'll stick to my usual approach of building a site from the ground up with PHP and Postgres with pretty forms for data entry. (I've focused on this problem because I've been thinking about how to model licensing decisions in R1 using standard econometric techniques. It's been a while since I've written an academic paper, but I think there's an interesting one hiding there somewhere.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-09-30 at 21:28.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote