View Single Post
Old 2010-06-12, 22:50   Link #1
Falkor

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Light novel written by Eiji Mikage and illustrated by 415 aka Tetsuo. 3 Volumes so far released with the fourth one coming on June 10th. Baka-Tsuki is currently translating the work: 3 volumes so far translated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-T
It was March when the new transfer student Aya Otonashi arrived at the classroom 1-6. The entire class was stunned by her beauty and curious about the reason she transferred in the middle of the term.
Her "self-introduction", however, ended with a blunt mention of her name, upon which the classroom turned dead silent.

That is, until -

"Kazuki Hoshino"

- she called out my name.

"I'm here to break you."
Link.

A few comments:

hands-down, probably the best light novel B-T is translating at the moment. :P

though not precisely its strongest point, Utsuro no Hako presents a varied set of characters, with Otonashi-san and Kazuki being the most important ones. I guess I'm sort of neutral negative towards Kazuki, who just happens to be be the male character of this novel. he hasn't got to the point of annoying me, which is good, I think; but he hasn't done anything relatively interesting, either. On the other hand, the way she talks, the way she is portrayed, the way she interacts with others, or simply the way she confuses me; I have only love for Otonashi-san, who is easily my favorite character in all installments of the series. Strong, determined, outspoken... a female of unique personality, with great conviction on what she does and thinks; not only is her kind hard to come by, but also difficult to like. and yet, Otonashi-san is different: she is honest, endearing... a refreshing character you can't help but find especial. oddly enough, she reminds me of Senjougahara (Bakemonogatari)---for how she talks, for how she interacts, for how she speaks her mind. nonetheless, Otonashi-san and Kazuki are the main characters and both have a certain degree of importance. we see the unfolding events through their eyes; we discover the world through their thoughts and feelings---and without them, Utsuro No Hako wouldn't be the same.

however, probably the best thing about this light novel is the story and the way it's told, with a concept that is constantly changing, a mystery that never fails to be thrilling or amusing, and a execution that is nothing short of amazing. I was kinda surprised at first to discover that each novel is always trying something new. For example, the first novel is very non-linear, using multiple iterations to reveal what's going. at its core, it remains a mystery novel with strong psychological aspects, where finding clues, creating conjectures and discovering the "culprit" is combined with the exploration/exposition of the characters' psyche. By scrutinizing words, by interpreting actions, by understanding different behaviors; we are closer to solving the mystery as well. It's amazing how everything starts to click together at some point, no matter how twisted, how confusing or how unexpected it is. I found myself trying to figure out what's going, believing or disbelieving what the characters say, only to discover that my conjectures were all wrong. it's a really nice and cathartic feeling, if I can say so myself. While the dialogue is a heavy part of the story, it also has to be one of the most complex, interesting and entertaining dialogue I've read in this medium---sometimes philosophical, sometimes existentialist, sometimes making sense on a much deeper level of thought. it really adds a lot of enjoyment to the story, together with the fascinating/unveiling mystery and the strong psychological aspect of the characters.

To read Utsuro no Hako is to expect the unexpected; there's always a surprise waiting for you at the end or beginning of a new chapter. you may even have to read the lines a couple of times more than usual; you may also have to deal with the confusion of not exactly knowing/understanding what's going on; but surely, you will not get bored while reading this.

The second novel follows the same pattern as the first: the story is more linear, though; but oh boy, the dialogue becomes even more philosophical/psychological. The third one though I've only read half of it is hands down the best installment: more psychological, more interesting, even more mysterious---truly a game about deceiving.

by the way I really want to see this animated...

Not sure if I have to mention this, but remember to title your posts (e.g. Volume 3, Round 3)

---------------

Thoughts on the First Volume.

Spoiler for Thoughts on the First Volume:
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote