Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 11:25   Link #25227
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I just wonder how much we can actually solve by our current medical/psychological system. Based on both research and personal experience, I don't really have faith in it, and just throwing money at mental institutions/psychiatrists/mental health providers may not do much. There has to be an attempt to actually study and understand. Unfortunately, I can't help but feel some of these types may simply be inevitable. The human brain being as complex as it is, there are so many simple mutations or inherited differences that can be exacerbated and stretched by experience into what an average person would consider bizarre or unthinkable behavior.
For some people the issue is likely true insanity due to chemical imbalances in the brain, but who says it always has to be something physiological? Many of these people are subjected to environmental stresses, with feelings of isolation being a big one that I notice frequently being linked to these types of stories. You can hype them up on as many drugs as you want but if the underlying issues aren't addressed then a problem can still arise.

The solution in those cases is more likely to be therapy, but that takes time, money, and effort from the individual. We as a society have set ourselves up for trouble here. Since we live in a "pill culture" many are unprepared for the work that they need to do on their end, and they grow frustrated when it is revealed that therapy is completed over the span of months and years, rather than days and weeks, and that even at the conclusion of therapy they may never be "100% cured."

Insurance also makes this a bit more difficult; I don't know exactly how mental health has been impacted, but I've heard from physical therapists that therapy that once was completed over the span of months (sometimes going over a year) is now done in the short course of a few weeks, all due to insurance demands.

Lastly, it doesn't help that we're all becoming withdrawn into ourselves. There are many reasons for it, but people don't reach out to each other or express interest in those around them so much these days. There's something that each of us can do, then: don't be afraid to connect with the people we pass by each day. Who knows? Perhaps saying a few words and sharing a short conversation with a stranger could be the act that they need to be pulled out of a dark place.