View Single Post
Old 2012-07-08, 05:52   Link #174
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
BTW, I've never been offended by Mari Okada's portrayal of male characters. However, I find it difficult to interpret her intent (which is to present them as being comical, ineffective, and ultimately non-threatening) in any other way.
I don't think it's a matter of people getting offended or not, but more that people are sick of her antics. Do we really need a crossdressing scene of some sort in every anime she's involved in? Maybe she's merely trying to be funny or maybe she really has some intentional malice. I don't know, we don't know.

What is known though is that is often times inappropriate or unwarranted. Oscar and Goemon in Lupin III anyone? Hanasaku Iroha episode 3? Yukiatsu's infamous moment in Anohana? Not to mention the trainwrecks that were Black Rock Shooter and Aquarion EVOL to which she was the primary script writer. I do realise that Shoji Kawamori should take half the blame for Aquarion though.

I still respect her for what she did in regards to True Tears and the adaptations of Wandering Son and Toradora, but her recent works have been absolutely shoddy with unnecessary erotica/fanservice material. And why does this matter? Well she's the most well-known script writer in the industry atm, compounded by the fact she won the Individual Animation Kobe Award for 2011.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote