View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 20:16   Link #64
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Because unlike other mangaka, every stroke of Oda's pen on paper creates a thousand dollars. Each finished page subsidizes an editors annual wage.

The man is the sole reason why, unlike every other manga weekly out there, Jump is turning a profit. It's a meme in the industry to call Jump's Shueisha Jimbocho Building in Tokyo the One Piece Building. Each volume of One Piece now outsells the rest of the top 50 mangas, combined. One Piece volumes outsell even Harry Potter. At 280 million volumes and counting, as a whole, it's one of the best selling stories, ever, worldwide.
Oda now IS Japanese publishing.

So Oda kicking back his heels isn't like a normal mangaka or author taking a break. In a sense it's like if Apple shut down when Jobs got sick, or government stopping when the president is on vacation.
A year without Oda would mean curtains for Jump as he's currently their license to print money. It wouldn't be painful, it would be catastrophic.

Yes, yes, I got all that. However, the thing is that despite all the revenue Oda brings to his parent company, he's still, ya know, one man, not a robot. Dude's gotta have some rest sometime. His devotion to his work is admirable, that's for certain, but I just can't see any good coming out of literally working himself to death. I'm not championing him going on a Togashi-length hiatus (heaven forbid if he walks down that path), but I see no reason why giving him a little extra time off (as well as a revised work schedule that allows him more than 2-3 hours of sleep) wouldn't go amiss.....