Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-19, 16:10   Link #25345
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I believe that most people ARE good, but I'd rather have my weapons when I'm unfortunate enough to run into those that aren't.
I just think it's a bit silly to claim that "hoplophobes" are afraid of guns because they think that humanity is terrible, when many people who desire a gun and think it's good protective feel that way because they want to protect themselves from other people.

Put another way, "hoplophobes" may be afraid of the evil that people with guns can perpetuate, but the people who want to arm themselves with guns for protection fear the exact same thing. The only difference is in the conclusion that each side reaches with regard to how best to protect themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
However a gun can be effective without firing a shot. An intruder can be scared off by the sound of a shotgun action being cycled. even if that action is not attached to the weapon.
Valid argument. It's also a valid argument to say that people with guns become bolder and more willing to challenge others than people without guns. The question isn't so much about what's effective or not, it's about the prevalence of how these things play out in the real world.