View Single Post
Old 2013-08-30, 00:40   Link #449
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizoku-Ou View Post
You say these things as though they are facts, but the truth is none of us here actually know. Obviously, his sister is the focus of the story, but that does not mean he has to be in a monogamous romantic relationship with his sister for all his remaining days. People change over time. Young people, in particular, tend to change quite a bit as they grow. To assume they will be the same way emotionally even a year down the line is assuming too much.
[...]
As I said, I know all the stuff you just said. What the author says he wanted their relationship to be like at the ending point of the series, however, isn't the same as where the story would go well after that point. The very nature of their relationship creates the possibility of them ending up with other people in adulthood and absent information definitively saying otherwise there is no reason to be insistent on the point.
I disagree wholesome there. The tapes are an important hint. There Kirino said:

"What do I need to do to make him love me? What do I need to do to be with him forever."

followed by the anime addition of Kyousuke and Kirino saying "Leave it to me". Kyousuke also told this to the reader during that face-off with Manami, when he shouted that he loved his sister:

"I did try to look for a way out, but there was no escape route for me. There was also no bright future. But I would not give up. I could only keep walking down this route."

And going by the epilogue, this was no real closure for their relationship. Furthermore, Kuroneko basically cut the bridge between her and Kyousuke. That was stated clearly in the novel. Naturally with the anime not including all those inner monologues an anime-only watcher won't get these aspects.

Of course you are not wrong in stating that anything can happen down the road. But your conclusions are not supported by the story. By the same token I could also say (I am deliberately exaggerating), that tomorrow the train on which the siblings are explodes and they die in each others arms. But I can't really make an argument for that happening.