View Single Post
Old 2012-02-15, 13:07   Link #17
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
I find it eerie that Kouichi Sakakibara has so many similarities with the protagonist of Higurashi.
[...]
I kind of wonder if Kouichi was semi-based off Keiichi.
I doubt that Ayatsuji actually took Ryűkishi's work as an inspiration. Kouichi is not really an exceptional character and the events sorrounding him are only slightly similar to those of Higurashi's protagonist Keiichi.
I think most around here aren't really used to Japanese horror and mystery stories, therefore everytime one comes along it seems very novel and innovative. While I don't want to put Another or Higurashi down (I like both of them in their own way) they aren't the only ones like that in this genre by far. The secluded village (inaka) has become as much a trope as the backwoods in American horror and of course an unknowing protagonist goes back to archetypes of Poe's gothic horror which laid groundworks for much that is done today.

Drawing parallels between cotemporary works can be very enlightening, but I think that these two characters are only so vaguely similar on a trope level that we can't really say anything about possible inspiration ... even though of course I wouldn't rule it out, but normally (as seen even in the anime) Ayatsuji is very outspoken about his inspirations (King, Saul, Poe, old movies, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What?on the contrary the novel reader said
Just to clear up any remaining misunderstandings, here is an excerpt from this part of the novel. It happens pretty early in the story (chapter 2, p. 79-82) and was partly included in episode 1 of the anime...only that the whole scene is much longer in the novel than just a few sentences. I think the anime did a pretty good job of capturing that scene, but not having experienced the Sakakibara scare during the late 90's many viewers in the Western world wouldn't capture on to the hint towards it (Japanese media are still going on about the case when it comes to juvenile crimes).

Spoiler for mild novel spoiler: