View Single Post
Old 2006-05-19, 09:38   Link #100
ommseti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
And no, I've no background in chinese court history... you wouldn't think it would be required for an anime aimed at (as far as I can tell) younger girls.
--It helps to remember that its intended audience will have grown up with a different set of background literature and history than we did, and the Japanese imperial court borrowed very, very heavily from the Chinese patterns. ^_^ So sometimes they take that background knowledge for granted...

For me, it was very hard for me to watch Shuurei in the salesman scene. She's such a practical, matter-of-fact kind of person, she's completely oblivious to the fact that she could be embarrassing herself in front of the very people she's wanting to convey a message to. And because the emperor (to the best of anyone's knowledge) doesn't have any life experiences that could compare to selling hairpins in an open-air market, I was really worried that he would totally focus on the wrong message and come away with the impression that Shuurei was an idiot with no dignity, rather than coming away with the impression that everyone has a job to do, or a new beneath-the-palace view of his city. But fortunately, Ryuuki was a very good sport and went along with it, and I was very grateful for that. But I was still annoyed at Shuurei for throwing him into a situation that he couldn't possibly have anything to relate to.

But after I thought about it--- Shuurei has been through so much, she's realized that certain things are more important than projecting a certain image, or being considerate enough to slowly get people used to new ideas, rather than throwing them in all at once and seeing what happens. :o) She only has a year; she doesn't have time to be subtle. ^_^ And then I forgave her a bit more.
ommseti is offline   Reply With Quote