View Single Post
Old 2009-08-01, 02:28   Link #198
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I'd forgotten how emotionally taxing this story really is.

I remember when I got to this part of the story it was pretty late at night but when I tried to sleep I failed and gave up after about a half hour to an hour of trying. I ended up reading the whole thing that night, and I just so happened to reach the prologue right when the translator was posting it. Lucky me!
You mean the epilogue? xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Yep, she was trying to say that she was wrong, but Lawrence felt that he too was wrong, and he was, for hiding that Yoitsu info from her.

I think he heard her say "sorry", but misunderstood what it meant. I think Lawrence felt she meant "Sorry, but I don't want to see you right now"
Right. Horo's apology was over the realization that she had gone overboard and disorted the facts in her emotional outbreak. She had actually managed to compose herself by then. However, Lawrence mistook her apology as representing a severence of their relationship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Horo cannot read. She could not read about that and she cold not hear much from remote villagers as well. The knowledge in that aspect should be pretty lacking. Remember that knight stories were popular and passed among nobles and towns folk, not among small remote village people.

She could not be active during the dark ages because otherwise she wold know about the changes regarding church.

I am arguing that while playing was her intent she is not particularly in control because of her lack of knowledge in this regard.
As some have already pointed out, she definitely CAN read. She lied to Lawrence about not being able to read in order to surprise him at some later point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
Spice & Wolf world is similar to medieval (or actually more like XVI century) Europe, but isn't. Trying to fit it into real world history would be meaningless. For all we know, there could be even no Roman Empire in S&W historyline. Also S&W Church is similar to Christian denomination, but isn't. There are some not obvious, but significant differences. For example, it seems to be less centralized, without knight templars and crusades stuff.

From the look of things, IMHO S&W technological level is late XVI / early XVII century (minus gunpowder), economy is more like XVII century, religious affairs are somewhat like XII century (minus Islam), and linguistically it's XXII century All above relative to Western Europe.
Agreed. Given the similarities, one may reasonably say that the S&W universe is based on some period in European history, but trying to pinpoint the actual time setting is rather pointless considering that this is a work of fiction set in a fictional setting. Moreover, despite the similarities, there is evidence that the religion of the Church in S&W is not even Christianity/Catholicism, as suggested by the necklaces worn by clergy members such as Elsa and the nun in Vol. 5 (not crosses, but a kind of semicircular-shaped item).