View Single Post
Old 2012-07-08, 17:55   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Personally, I've never tested WET, as I always install Windows + all programs from start to finish (though the program looks quite straightforward). I like customizing and optimizing everything, therefore WET is kind of pointless for me (not to mention that every time I bought a new PC, I usually made the jump to a newer OS; forcefully familiarizing myself with a new environment diminished the usefulness of WET in my eyes).

However, if you have an Easy Transfer Cable linking PC #1 to PC #2, then, yes, WET will automatically transfer the files through that connection, since it's one of the three transmission modes offered by the program (just click on the Start button and type "Windows Easy Transfer", it'll give you an idea of how it works). The second transmission mode is "home network" or something like that (Wi-fi should theoretically pose no problem, to answer your second question). Third one is external/removable hard drive.

I don't know about Ethernet crossover cables, though, but I assume they're compatible with option #2. But as I said, using the third mode is fine, for as long as the storage device is large enough to contain everything you wish to back up (which can go from less than a hundred megs to a few gigs depending on which folders you've earmarked).