View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 16:23   Link #74
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Universality? I don't know if I'm getting this right but I don't think there's a single creation that can please everyone. I mean hey... Mona Lisa is a masterpiece but I don't see myself liking it anytime soon...
Yea I brought this up earlier. The point of writing, drawing, saying, or basically communicating anything is to transmit the idea of something to an intended audience. Obviously, the Mona Lisa couldn't have been directed to people centuries in the future. Thus works should be judged with this intent, as it is that purpose.

If a message manages to light the fires of the people it was intended to reach, does it not mean it was a complete success?

Therefore, there a number of works where I appreciate for what they do, even though it wasn't meant for me, so I personally don't care for it.

Because the nature of entertainment is at least partially an emotional experience, plus people of different times and cultures have different opinions and mindsets, it can't be quantified so easily, except we can approximate in the reaction it generated. You can't appreciate Citizen Kane fully, unless you understand the context behind it, for example.

Therefore, I would go with masterpiece to the degree of how it affected the medium overall. Mobile Suit Gundam has got to be one of the groundbreakers when it comes to anime I'd say.

Finally, it's my personal opinion that if you try to please everyone, you will please no one.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews